THE BEES AND THE FLOWERS

Another sensible and long-needed step has been taken by Dr. Bock and his department in the complete renovation of Freshman Hygiene. The old system with its petrified and stealthy advice to young Ulysses always savored much more of Beatrice Fairfax than Louis Pasteur, and its banishment will leave an imperceptibly small gap in Harvard scholastics.

By far the most important and pleasant change is that from now on the lectures in Freshman Hygiene will be purely optional. This come and get it" attitude will indeed prove a less potent drawing -card than the whip of Simon Legree, but the fact that those who attend the course will be students with a genuine interest in the subject more than compensates for the diminishing returns.

Not only has the attitude of the lecturer to the students in the past been inane, but the very breadth of the subject made it too broad a field for one man to cover. The fact that in the future Dr. Bock will deliver two lectures on hygiene and the other eight will be given by authorities in their respective fields promises to relieve the tedium inevitable in such a subject.

It seems probable that a significant number of Freshmen will sit in on the course, now that the compulsion and monotony have been removed, and, what should prove at least revolutionary, a number of upperclassmen will attend particular lectures upon subjects which interest them. Dr. Bock must once again be congratulated upon the sensible way in which he has tackled a problem of Harvard hygiene and upon his sympathetic and liberal attitude toward the student body.