18 FRESHMEN TURN OUT FOR FOOTBALL MANAGER

Few of 1939 Show Up at First Meeting of Competition--Other Candidates Report Today

Eighteen members of the Class of 1939 turned out yesterday for the Freshman managerial competition under the direction of Stan Deland '36, football manager, and Walter Page '37, first assistant manager. The number of first year men reporting, however, was considerably less than in former years.

Outside of the CRIMSON news competitions, the football managerial competition has the reputation of being the stiffest in the college. But despite the work involved, the compensations are great. The first competition runs for a six weeks period, ending with the Princeton game. The best man is made Freshman manager and receives his numerals; five others are chosen to compete in the Sophomore Competition the following year. From this number is eventually chosen the first manager. Often men in the football competitions, however, gain other managerial berths, such as track or baseball.

If other candidates wish to come out for the competition they should report at the managers office in the H. A. A. underneath the Union at 1 o'clock today.