PLEA SENT TO FACULTY TO REJECT OATH BLANKS

Circular Letter by Action Denounces Allegiance Law--Faculty Silent on Intentions

Branding the oath of allegiance document as an humiliation to every intelligent teacher, and as "demagoguery in the guise of patrioteering," a letter was circulated yesterday among the Harvard faculty at the same time as the oath blanks, which were mailed so that the members may make the pledge individually.

The plea to the faculty to refuse as a body to take the oath in an effort to have the law repealed, was signed by one Robert J. Action. Indicating himself as an associate of nothing but learned societies, he could be found in no connection with the University.

The document declared that teaching at Harvard would become a "state function, subject to the interpretation and approval of state officials."

Members of the Faculty were unwilling yesterday to indicate their intentions or to comment on the circular letter. It is understood, however, that many of the members will take the oath, including President Conant, who led the fight against the bill last spring.