PHILOSOPHY A AND DR. DEMOS

In the past Philosophy A has had a huge enrollment principally because of the distribution requirement of at least one course in Mathematics or Philosophy. Naturally owing to the abolition of this requirement, the enrollment has fallen heavily, but there still remain over 200 students in the course who presumably have a bona fide interest in the subject.

It naturally has become easier to make the course attractive when students do not in general take it only to pass off requirements. But the reason for this year's success lies deeper than that. Philosophy A this year has been a vital course principally because of the skillful, painstaking work of its new lecturer. Unhurried, a little reluctant to face such a large group, yet sincere and thorough, he has kept the whole 200 attentive, in fact made them enthusiastically interested in the subject.

Tutoring schools in the past have done a flourishing business in giving reviews for Philosophy A, but this year the demand for them has dropped almost to nothing; in fact, one school, even after offering one free weekly review in the course as an advertisement, has found that students for the most part prefer to do their own work.

The new lecturer in the course deserves the greatest credit for this achievement; our compliments go to Raphal Demos, assistant professor of Philosophy and tutor in the Division of Philosophy and Psychology.