Don't Call Him Lillis

BING Crosby was christened Harry Lillis, but no one dares call him Lillis now. He got the Bing because in his first breeches he always asked to have the Bingvilie Bugle comic strip read to him. He entered Gonzage University (Spokane) after a taste of running away from home, and did what theatrical people in college seem to do, organized an orchestra and paid more attention to drums and clarinet than philosophy and religion.

A theater manager liked Bing's style of Boo/doo/ta/dooing a song, and Bing met. A Rinker, a pianist, whose for tunes were locked with Bing's through enough slap bang, up-and-down footlight experience to kill two normal lads, including tours with Paul Whiteman as two of the Rhythm Boys who used to render a powerful Mississippi Mud.

Some shorts in Hollywood convinced producers they should take a chance on this boy with a way of singing In the Blue of the Night to send raptures world wide, and the rest is a story of lush success, much banking of Bing, horses, golf and three sons already well publicized.