EXPEDITION ORGANIZED FOR STUDY OF FOSSILS

Purpose Is to Study Possibility of Ancient Connection of Africa and South America

Searching for fossils 175,000,000 years old, which may throw new light on the theory that South America and Africa were once connected by land, an expedition will leave the early part of next month for Southern Brazil.

The trip will be under the direction of Lewellyn I. Price and Theodore E. White, of the Museum of Comparative Zoology.

The primary purpose of the expedition will be to study prehistoric animals and their evolutionary history, but the group will also obtain as fine a collection as possible for the Museum.

Some geologists, notably the European, Wegener believe that South America and Africa were once connected as part of Gondwana land, which extended half way around the Southern hemisphere. The majority, however, contradict the theory, saying that the South Atlantic deeps are too old for the continents to have ever been connected.

Support has been given to the theory by the discovery of similar rock formations and fossil animals and plants in the two continents.

The Brazilian government is cooperating in this pioneering enterprise, which will be continued for about a year.