Minor Sports Only Have Financial Support Reduced; Not Be Abolished

Six minor sports, Cross Country, Wrestling, Fencing, Boxing, Lacrosse, and Soccer, may only have their financial support reduced instead of being abolished according to President Conant's report released last Friday.

While reiterating his endowment policy as voted by the Corporation last April, Mr. Conant states that further economies "will involve the reduction of the financial support of six minor sports."

Golf Gone

Golf has already been officially abolished by the H.A.A., although a regular schedule has been drawn up for this spring. Golfers pay their own green fees, and there is only a negligible expense on the H.A.A.

The section of Mr. Conant's report dealing with athletics reads.

"The problem of the athletic budget has been troublesome for several years. The Director of Athletics, Mr. Bingham, and the Athletic Committee have done their utmost each year since the depression to balance the fall income because of decreased attendance at football games by a corresponding decrease in expense.

Dangerous Finance

"This has been a difficult and uncertain process which held no hope for a permanent solution of a dangerous financial problem. It was therefore decided by all concerned that it would be advisable to put our athletic program on the game basis as the other activities of the University.

"The Corporation voted last April to establish an endowment fund for athletics which they would endeavor to build up during the years to a point where the income would largely support intercollegiate and intramural sports.

Year 1935-36

To this end certain adjustments were made in the budget for the year 1935-36, and desire economies were introduced According to a schedule worked out with the Director of Athletics, expenses will be still further decreased during the next three years. These economies will involve the reduction of the financial support of six minor sports. Such curtailment is essential in order to reduce the total budget to a point where it is conceivable that some day it might be balanced by an income from endowment.

"Furthermore, these economies may enable us over the next five years to accumulate some favorable balance which will be transferred to the endowment fund for athletics. At all events, we are reasonably assured that we shall not have mounting deficits with all that they imply.

No Curtailment

"I do not believe that this program will curtail the opportunities for our undergraduates to take part in athletics; the status of four minor sports will not be affected, and inter-house athletics will be fostered as before. The alternative is the hand-to-mouth policy of old days which must eventually lead any institution to have far too great concern with football gate receipts. The Director of Athletics is probably more fully aware than anyone of all the dangers inherent in an unbalanced budget, and we need have no fear that there will be any deviation from the course which has been set.