The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

THE PRESS

ANOTHER NEW IDEA IN EDUCATION

To the Editor of the Princetonian:

Sir: A few days ago I attended the Harvard-Princeton baseball game, and once more I was impressed by the dismal ineffectiveness of the three "Princetons!" at the end of the locomotive cheer it sounded like a triple iteration of: "We're Stung!" Indeed there is another, and still more unfavorable connotation, but since the latter is totally unfitted for ears polite I am unable to be more explicit.

Now consider the case of "Harvard," a word of two syllables. For Harvard men to endeavor an imitation of the Yale machine-gun chatter would be simply ridiculous. And so, very wisely, they aim at the dignified and sonorous effect: "Harvard! Harvard!! Harvard!!!" Here the accent is on the first syllable with a fine, open vowel sound; the result is vocally excellent.

At Princeton we are under a double handicap--a dissyllabic name and a thin, closed vowel (i) with which to start. Consequently, we cannot rival either the quick bark of "Yale!" or the slow sonority of "Harvard!" From the standpoint of effective vocalization "Prince-ton!" is what our British cousins would call a fair washout. What to do about it?

May I suggest that we employ, at least occasionally, the alternative patronymic of 'Nassau!" as a snapper to the body of our tribal war-cry. It is inferior in phonetic value to both "Harvard!" and "Yale!" But it is infinitely superior to the pinched-up and vocally inexpressive "Princeton!" I am inclined to think that the best tonal effect will be secured by avoiding the repetition of the word (Nassau), particularly if the tempo be a rapid one. Use a single "Nassau" at the end of the cheer, thus: "Nassau!" Note that the explosive accent is on the final syllable, the vocalization fairly well drawn out, and a very open vowel sound given to the second half of the word. Compare the concluding line of our college hymn: "Three cheers for Old Nassau." --Daily Princetonian.