FOGG MUSEUM REPORT SHOWS BIG DONATIONS

MORGAN LIBRARY LOAN EXHIBIT ATTRACTS 3000

Important donations of money, including those obtained from the Carnegie Corporation as well as gifts from individuals, were devoted to technical research, to the publication of the work of scholars, and to the purchase of photographs and books, according to the Annual Report of the Fogg Museum for 1935.

Restorative treatment and X-ray research occupied the attention of the Technical Research department throughout the year. The chief undertaking in the restorative line was the retransference of a large Sienese painting of Girolamo di Benvenuto. In X-ray work, an extended study of early American painting was carried through.

Nine paintings by the Dutch water color school of the nineteenth century and a small collection of Greek terra cotta figurines were acquisitions made during the year which deserve special attention. There were also nine terra cotta heads of the first or second century B. C., from Asia Minor, acquired by exchange with the Royal Museums of Brussels.

Three outstanding purchases were made during the year. The first, a commission for a fresco entitled "Structure," was painted in one of the corridors of the Museum by Lewis W. Rubenstein '30. The other two were a drawing by Charles Sheeler, "Feline Felicity," and a "Portrait of Miss Grant," one of the rare works of the father of American art history, William Dunlap.

Thirty-seven exhibitions were arranged during the year. Approximately half of these were for the purpose of showing at fairly frequent intervals the works of art of all kinds that belong to the Museum.

Among the specially planned loan exhibitions the most distinctive and well attended was that of the Pierpont Morgan Library's illuminated Manuscripts and Old Master Drawings.