FOOTBALL TEAM CLOSES INTENSIVE WORKOUTS

NUMBER OF FRESHMAN STANDOUTS FOUND AS CUT LOOMS

Closing intensive work for the Amherst game Saturday with what Coach Dick Harlow discribed as the best practice session yet, the Varsity football squad ran through a spirited drill that augurs well for an opening game victory.

The entire coaching staff was particularly pleased with the blocking and the offensive work of the line. The forward wall was driving hard on every play and keeping well out ahead during the entire session.

Boston and Wilson

Stuart and George Roberts both turned in excellent jobs, alternating at the tall back post. Chief Boston, hard hitting sophomore quarter ran the A team yesterday. Cliff Wilson, who is running neck and neck with Boston for the signal calling post, was held out of scrimmage because of a slight cold. Harlow now rates both boys as absolutely even, and it is a toss-up who will get the starting call Saturday.

Thirty minutes of the scrimmage was devoted to defensive work, before Harlow allowed the A team to take the ball against a mixed eleven composed of Jayvees and Varsity C men. The first team drove the length of the field twice, interupted only by one intercepted pass. Bill Watt crashed over for the first score from the 3 yard line after a series of line gains had put the ball in position.

Varied Attack

The attack was more varied on the second march, with forward passes and spectacular end runs interspersed. Bob Stuart, Jayvee star of last year broke loose twice for runs of 15 yards and a pass Stuart to Staples was good for 15 more. After a first on the 15 yard line, it only required three rushes to cross the last white line. Stuart did the carrying.

No Scrimmage Today

There will be no scrimmage today, and Friday the Amherst team will work out in the stadium. Following the Lord Jeff's session Harlow will send the squad through a last light practice.

Team A lined up as follows: Winter, l.e., Gaffney, l.t., Kessler, l.g., Jones, c., Allen, r.g., Kevorkian, r.t., Staples, r.e., Boston, q., McTernan, r.h., Roberts and Stuart l.h., and Watt and Hedblom, f.

Freshman

Meanwhile on an adjacent field Coach Henry Lamar sent his Yardling charges through an intensive drill on fundamentals, with defensive work particularly stressed. The linemen worked out under Emile Dubiel and the backs had George Blackwood to watch over them. The first cut of the Freshman squad will be made after the initial scrimmage on Friday. Barton Kelly and John Kennedy, brothers of the famous Shaun and Joe Kennedy respectively, Hoar, Duane, DeVine and McGruder appear to be most promising for the flank positions, while at tackle George Downing, Hallett, Healey and Phil Hallowell have displayed talent.

Fahr, Heskell, Sargent, and Peter Thompson stand out so far at guard, while Bird, Dowd, and Duvall have been getting the call at center position. In the backfield Bailey, Torbert McDonald, Cordingley, a former end converted into a blocking back, Lewis, and Curtis have stood out so far