SLANDER ON THE LEFT

The Harvard alumni who sponsored "Walled in This Tomb" chose a singularly untimely moment for its distribution. The Tercentenary celebration saw liberalism praised, and freedom of speech repeatedly defended as indispensable. Certainly no gathering more receptive to fair criticism could be found. The distinction was lost, however, between freedom of speech and its appropriate use.

The Sacco and Vanzetti issue is, as far as any of us are concerned, dead. It was a controversy which expert jurists and politicians shied from settling eight years ago, and can scracely be expected to set the public back on its heels today. The motives of the pamphlet's sponsors, therefore, can only be described as slanderous and publicity-seeking. These men, in the name of decency, should have directed their resentment against President-Emeritus Lowell as a private citizen, not as one of the honored heads of a University in the midst of celebrating its birthday by entertaining the foremost scholars of the world.

The proposed Postoffice investigation is further evidence of the so-called liberals' lust for notoriety. The University is indirectly accused of destroying first class mail, and preventing the delivery of the pamphlets. Even if such were the case, there would be small reward to be gained by these men except a selfish feeling of importance at proving a point.

No thinking man will favor, in the name of liberalism, scurrilous attacks which originate from no higher cause than to embarrass Harvard at a time when all eyes are turned upon it. The exhibitionists, parading under the guise of "Liberalism" only alienate supporters of their beliefs, rather than enlist the sympathies of free-thinkers. An indictment so thoroughly out of taste and irrelevant can but damage the cause which its promoters claim to advance.