NOT QUILTY

The second letter in three days on the subject of free tutoring for Harvard athletes, appearing elsewhere on this page, places additional emphasis on a triviality. Mr. Bingham leaves no room for doubts and speculation, by frankly admitting that two years ago tutoring schools were given tickets without his knowledge, presumably in return for free tutoring. Further, certain schools will give athletes free instruction for the publicity involved. No official H.A.A. action, however, has permitted an athlete to receive such financial assistance.

The Athletic Association is open to many attacks of this nature because of the inclination of wealthy graduates to improve the calibre of Harvard teams. Such concealed financial aid as may have been responsible for Captain Haley's resignation are in no way traceable to official action, yet from the outside appear exactly the same.

All Varsity Club jobs are handled through the Student Employment Office, preference being given to athletes who can prove their financial need. Such an arrangement is certainly fair and natural since the Varsity Vlub is purely an athletes' organization. The true state of affairs scarcely bears the weight of Mr. H. M. Fuller's big time accusations.