THE EYE OF HEAVEN

Undergraduate dissatisfaction with the new parietal rules gives the University no choice in the matter. Opinion has been almost unanimous that the "double or nothing" rule represents a thoroughly haphazard and unworkable solution. The council of House Masters, meeting with President Conant, formulated the plan, and the bawling brat must be thrown into the lap of the latter immediately upon his return from England.

Although, on account of the absence of the President, no change in the regulations can be made until late October, undergraduates would do well to consider all possible solutions to the problem in the meantime.

The current petitions desire a return to the former rules. Here it might be added, "whatever they were." This is no solution since the old plan presented many difficulties which the Masters were right in attacking. They lacked uniformity not only in makeup but also in enforcement. Observance ran the gamut from the monastic confinement of Leverett to the country club tolerance of Eliot. While the word "chaperon" stood on the statute books, when the "Aunt from Dubuque" appeared at Harvard parties, it was more through spite than invitation. Still the law stood, and many students felt guilt at the habitual disregard of it.

Any new rule, to be acceptable, must be the same for all the Houses and must be universally enforced. An adaptation of the Oxford-card system seems advisable. It is recommended by its simplicity as well as its efficiency. According to this, a young woman might be entertained after her escort has checked her name and time of arrival at the office. Upon leaving, the couple would check out, and a failure to do this would bring disciplinary action by the University. As for the hours, they should be decided by the council of House Masters. The present schedule of from one to seven in the afternoon seems fair enough.

The comedy and injustic of the new rule must appear as clear to the Masters as to the undergraduates. Some misconduct has doubtlessly taken place, but only on the part of a small fraction of the college. The character of the many should not be libelled by the action of the few. President Conant's temple of liberalism cannot stand being undermined by measures of a hypocritical and reactionary character.