HOME RULE FOR FRESHMEN

With yesterday's announcement of the new make-up and powers of the Union Committee, Mr. Marshall, guardian-angel of the class, has breathed life into the ideas which have been brewing for over a year for improving the management of Freshman affairs and making the class more of a social unit. Changes in student government, which were advanced by last year's Red Book Committee and the Confidential Guide, bid fair to open new fields of activity for enterprising yearlings and to give students greater freedom in shaping their destiny during the early months of their college career.

In order to put the reins for guiding affairs firmly in undergraduate hands, a chairman has been chosen for the Union Committee, which in the past was motiveless, without a head. With a class fund of $150 to support its plans, the Committee is in a position to promote worthwhile activities and interests, hobbies, such as stamp-collecting and the like, which contribute to the enjoyment of college life. Thus many men of similar bents, who often find the Yard a cold and disillusioning experience, can be drawn together by bonds of mutual interest. With other minor improvements in machinery, like the more liberal nomination system for officers, the reorganization reaches its logical completion.

What the final outcome of these improvements will mean depends to a large extent on the initiative of the present incumbents of the Yard. If the advantages of the new set-up lead to greater support of class activities, they will prove of lasting value. But if Freshman interest diminishes, the changes will work like New Deal panaceas--stimulating but not satisfying. In any event the way has been paved for a "more abundant life" in Freshman year, and the spirit of cooperation can make the innovations permanent and successful.