The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

ALL-NIGHT SHIFT PUTS IN GIANT TRANSFORMER

Temperature Recorder Shows Machine Near Boylston Hall Overloaded by Library Lights

A glaring electric light atop a rail-guarded manhole with a red "Danger" sign broke the dark stillness of the Yard in front of Boylston Hall last night as electric company workmen toiled late to install a new giant transformer.

The trouble started when light bulbs of too large a size were used in Widener Library, thus overloading the underground transformer, nestling in the steam-tunnel between Widener, Weld, and Boylston which steps down the "juice" from 2300 to 110 volts. The company's automatic temperature recorder showed that the machine was getting too hot, and accordingly it was decided that an extra one would have to be installed to take care of the added load.

Work was started Saturday afternoon; it must continue slowly because of the extreme care necessitated in working with dangerously high voltages. When questioned, the foreman of the job expected that the crew would work all night, probably finishing some time this morning.