Alumni Placement Office Invites All Seniors to Register for Employment

Acts as Clearing House for Specific Job Opportunities, Business Information

The following article was written by Donald H. Moyer '27, Assistant Director of Alumni Placement. It will be followed by three others dealing with the problem of selecting and landing a job, and how the Placement Office can be used by students.

The Alumni Placement Office yesterday sent to all Seniors who expect to enter business in June an invitation to register for placement at their earliest convenience. Although these motives were sent only to members of the Class of 1937, all students who for any reason expect to leave the College in June are urged to discuss their plans with one of the Office staff and register for placement.

The general function of Alumni Placement was described by Dean Plimpton in Monday's CRIMSON, Summarized briefly, its purpose is that of a clearing house for information on business occupations and specific job opportunities. The Alumni Placement Office considers the individual student responsible for choosing his own career and securing his own job; there is no wish to influence a Senior in the choice of his life work, nor obviously can the office literally get him a job. Each registrant will, however, be assisted to make his choice of work a rational one, and the Office will use its full resources to help each man find the kind of job he wants.

How It Works

For these students who register at this time the following description of how the Placement Office operates may anticipate and answer some general questions and afford a better basis for cooperation.

Because placement involves time and the appraisal of many factors concerning both jobs and men the fall months are devoted to getting acquainted with registrants. Frequent interviews between now and the Reading Period will aim to establish objectives as to type of business and kind of job. These talks should bring to a focus a Senior's aptitudes and interests and an evaluation of his background of study and extra-curricular achievement. All those factors which have a bearing on his career must be properly considered and related in order to avoid wasted effort in hunting a job.

Find Out Now

Facts pertaining to business occupations will require more time for most Seniors to assimilate them than they will be willing to spare in the busy second half of the Senior years. Those men who can devote odd hours now to setting the question of what to do after graduation will have at their disposal many references in the University libraries and the chance for extensive investigation of opportunities reported by friends. For those students who show particular interest in some business or other the Placement Office is now arranging field trips to local companies for observation purposes.

By the Reading Period employers will have begun their recruiting trips to the colleges to interview for employment members of this year's class. Depending upon his established objective and according to the specifications of the employer, a Senior may be summoned to talk with one or several of these industrial representatives between January and June.

Interviews Arranged

In addition to these chances to sell himself to employers, a Senior will be sent from time to time to interview the officers of nearby companies, and will be further encouraged to plan an aggressive job-hunting campaign which will involve his calling upon employers who have not listed specific job openings. For those men who wish to locate in cities away from Boston and who are free to travel there for the purpose, interviews with business men are often arranged by the Placement Office during the Christmas and Spring Recesses.

The Alumni Placement Office welcomes all Seniors or underclassmen who wish to discuss their interest in business employment. To be sure the Office can be of little help to the man who is unwilling to take strenuous measures to help himself, but to those men who are prepared to act on the sincere desire to find a place for themselves in the business world it can offer full cooperation and render much assistance