THE CRIMSON FENCE

Like Janus the two-faced god of the Romans, the Crimson is looking in both directions during the period proceeding its straw vote. On Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, until October fourteenth, editorials will appear by Hallanthus and Mulus, two Crimson editorial writers of opposing political views. The former tends to look in the general direction of Kansas; the latter veers toward Washington.

Proclaiming that positions in his cabinet will be open to men of all parties and that Chairman Hamilton will not receive that usual sugarplum of campaign managers, the job of Postmaster-General, Governor Landon has attempted to portray himself as the St. George of civil service reform. One would like not to dispute the good intentions of the Kansas executive, for a government staff capable of rendering efficient service in modern conditions is one of the crying needs of the country. But aside from the obvious fact that cabinet positions hardly rest in a class with the rank and file of bureaucratic offices, the practice of having two parties represented at the council board is nothing new: for years Secretary Ickes partook of Republican communion. As for Mr. Hamilton, it is easy to deny him the Post Office appointment: as a lawyer he would rather be Attorney-General.

For long run benefit to the national welfare, a Democratic victory holds a far brighter future for governmental service. President Rosevelt has repeatedly come out in favor of extending the civil service requirements, even to highly paid positions. To lay down a smoke screen of cloudy accusations about Mr. Farley does not obscure the President's good faith. The rapid expansion of government functions, which took place when the recovery agencies were formed, made it impossible to bring the new positions under the examination and merit system. But the less spectacular branches, forestry bureau, consular and diplomatic corps, and the like, have taken notable strides. Finally, the new regulation for the Post Office will bring that bureau to greater heights of efficiency.

Governor Landon, decrying the regulation as a device to freeze the tenure of office, gives away his whole line of attack as insincere. Instead of allowing the organization to improve, if elected he would be only too glad to thaw out the present incumbents in favor of his own supporters. For such a man to sit on a pedestal as a champion of reform can hardly capture the confidence of the American people, or their voted.