WINTER SCHEDULE FOR HOUSE ATHLETIC TEAMS HAS MANY ACTIVITIES

DOUBLE ELIMINATION SYSTEM IN USE FOR HOCKEY

House athletics on the winter schedule get under way Monday, November 23, according to the announcement of Adolph W. Samborski '25, director of Intramural athletics.

House members will find many means of athletic expression with indoor baseball, basketball, swimming, squash, hockey, and perhaps indoor track and boxing included on the roster for this year.

Indoor Baseball

Indoor baseball will be the first to get started with a league made up of eight teams. One game a day will be played between November 23 and the Christmas recess.

Basketball begins on Thursday, December 3, and four games will be played before Christmas. It is hoped that a B league can be formed to take care of those who do not make the first House teams. This will result in a much larger number of men being able to participate, but the plan is dependent on the amount of floor space available during the winter.

In swimming there will be two meets before the holidays, the schedule getting underway on Tuesday, December 8. The squash tournament will start on Wednesday, December 2.

Hockey

The actual hockey schedule has not yet been definitely decided on, but the games will probably be played during the mid-year period as was the case last year. A new system will go into effect for the hockey tournament, a double elimination system being used rather than single elimination. This means that a team must be defeated twice before it is put out of the tournament.

Innovations

Innovations for House athletics this winter include an indoor track meet and a boxing meet. For the boxing, preliminaries will be held to determine finalists in all classes and the finals will be held as an extra attraction before some varsity match.

In all sports except indoor track and boxing the winning House team will play Yale, probably in the early part of March.