Last Minute Bailing Against Navy Fails to Keep Crimson Craft Afloat

Weak Fundamentals, Defect in Yardling Attack All Season, Spell Defeat

Dropping their objective game with Yale 26-14 in the Yale Bowl Saturday, the Freshman football squad closed one of the most unsuccessful seasons a Yardling squad has had in recent years.

Scoring in the second period, and following that with two more touchdowns in the third frame and one in the fourth period, the Eli cubs were superior throughout the game. It was not until the final few minutes when the Yale third stringers were in, that the Crimson was able to score.

Then Torbert Macdonald, who starred throughout the game, received a Yale punt on his own 40 and weaved through the entire Blue squad to score standing up. Curtis converted, and a short time later, after a sustained drive down the field, Macdonald again went over, this time from the Yale 20. Curtis again converted.

McCllelland, Eli right half, was easily the star of the game. He scored twice at the climax of long marches. The other Yale touchdowns came as a result of a pass, and a 72 yard runback of an intercepted pass in the final period.

The same trouble with fundamentals that has been the Yardlings attack all season showed up again Saturday. The tackling was weak, and the blockers were not clearing the way.

Four defeats in regularly scheduled games, and two losses of informal contests, together with the 6-6 tie with Worcester Academy make up the record of this 1940 team.

Coach Henry Lamar started the following eleven: Ends, Devine and Maguire; tackles, Armstrong and Healey; guards, Thompson and Heiskell; center. Bird; quarter, Macdonald; halfs, Curtis and Bailey; full, Seargent. In addition the following substitutes also received numerals: Squibb, Cordingly, Duane, Kelly, Coleman, Hallett, Daughdy, Fair, Hoye, F. Curtiss.