EVER FORWARD

Advising opponents of the present democratic regime to cease obstructionist activities, Professor William Ripley, Harvard economist, expressed the opinion that the President's triumph in the recent election is attributable to the fact that he sensed the social unrest of the day, and by his actions convinced the country that he was willing to help remedy the defects of the old order.

The landslide of the election must convince Americans that the "grand days" of '29 are over. Laissez-faire is destined to die; it has been condemned by an overwhelming majority of the people. Since we are embarked on a new policy of social and economic legislation to remedy the existing evils of big business and industry, dissenting groups must use their influence to see that the new laws are carefully thought out and wisely administered. Their minority pressure must be employed to insure care and thoroughness in the future. They must form a minority such as Jefferson envisaged in 1790 when he stated that a minority must be a check on the group in power, not an obstructionist block.

Blind and stubborn reaction will not solve the problem, but will create class hatred instead. Today a man is not a "prince of privilege" because he is wealthy or because he is president of a large corporation, but he does become one when he becomes an anti-social force, and uses his power to further his own ends at the expense of those over whom he has control.

Big industrialists and wealthy men can wield a very great influence in the remolding of America's social and economic set-up. By helping the administration to the best of their abilities, they can prove their public spiritedness, and make the necessary readjustments quickly and efficiently. If they refuse to cooperate and appeal to the shades of Calvin Coolidge to keep the future away from their doors, they will arouse class antagonism and cause a serious rift in the community.