WHO TRAVELS ALONE

It is, of course, impossible to see the long black arm of Fascism on the regimented life in the famous parietal "two women" rule introduced last fall. The regulation, however, assumes a magnitude out of all proportion to its original intent.

The rule bears an unfortunate resemblance to a mosquito. It is not a large animal, but after being irritated for a sufficient length of time, the tormented soul would cheerfully attack a lion with his bare hands to provide an outlet for his spleen. The rule, of course, works especial hardship upon the students rooming alone, but its nuisance value is appreciated even by men with several roommates.

As a practical matter, the rule has broken down in several instances. It is hard for House officials and janitors to muster any enthusiasm for a regulation which the majority regard only with the greatest contempt. A rule, unpopular alike with administrators and students, certainly has no chance of enforcement.

What the mental processes were which produced this regulation are difficult to determine. The "scandals" of last year were the outcome of large parties, not small gatherings. Further, the "two women" aspect of the rule casts a shadow over the reputation of the unchaperoned lady in a manner decidedly reminiscent of a spirit which was supposed to disappear with the turn of the century. Next, perhaps, the College will show marked approval of ladies who discreetly veil their faces and wear low-heeled shoes.

The Crimson believes that student opinion on this subject is sufficiently aroused to make a poll conducted in the Houses distinctly worth-while. A number of alternatives are provided, and original suggestions welcomed. When the student voice is heard--and it is hoped that it will be a mighty roar--the last bar to administrative action will topple from its place.