DEAN OPENS LANGUAGE RENDEZVOUS IN UNION

LOCKE IN CHARGE OF READING AND COMMON ROOM

Answering a perennial demand for recognition of elementary languages, Delmar Leighton '19, Dean of Freshmen, on Saturday announced the official opening of a French and German center in the Union.

Four panelled rooms on the third floor, used in early Union days by publications and at a later date occupied by Yardlings, have been set aside as a combined common and reading room for those interested in the culture and history of these two nations.

Through the cooperation of Andre Morize, professor of French Literature, and his recently established committee for elementary language instruction, prints, maps, books, magazines, and other illustrative material, together with a stereoptican lantern and a phonograph, have taken their place in the new quarters.

William N. Locke, 1G., will be in charge of the Centre, while several of the instructors in language course are to attend at specified times.

The rooms were opened last week but the fact was not generally made known to the Freshmen due to uncompleted arrangements. Mr. Locke reported a large turnout all week with 31 present during one evening period.