Morison Tells History of Harvard Yard to Freshmen

Brings New Material to Light, Describes Henry Flynt, Old Tutor

In keeping with a well established tradition, Professor Samuel E. Morison '08, official historian of the Tercentenary, spoke last night at the Freshman Union on the history of the Harvard Yard.

Beginning with the year 1636, when the Massachusetts General Court agreed "to give 400 pounds towards a schoale or college", Professor Morison traced the growth of the Yard up to the present time.

Professor Morison did not dwell at length on the well-worn, familiar facts of Harvard history, but instead introduced comparatively new material. Thus, we learn that in the days when term-bills were paid in produce, one scholar was credited with an animal's "suet innards" and another with a "piece of stuff."

One of the most engrossing charac- ters in the history of the college was Tutor Henry Flynt, who "tuted" for 56 years straight. It was the custom 200 years ago for the students to present their tutor with silverware, but Flynt amassed so much silver that his last graduating class could not decide on a gift. They finally presented him with a large silver chamber-pot, which the students carried across the Yard on a Crimson cushion