LEARNED HAND WRITES LAW REVIEW FOREWORD FOR ITS 50TH VOLUME

REVIEW DEDICATED TO SURVEY OF LAST HALF CENTURY

Writing in the foreword to the November Law Review, which went into the mails last night, Learned Hand '93, former member of the Board of Overseers and President of the Alumni, tells the story most explicitly with his first words:

"With this number the fiftieth volume of the Review begins. It is the plan to give over the whole of it to a series of surveys, devoted, with one or two exceptions, to some particular subject, and written by a specialist. These will undertake to review the progress of the law during the last fifty years."

Leading articles of the fiftieth volume bear in this first issue the names of distinguished authors, Harlan F. Stone, Supreme Court justice, E. Merrick Dodd, Jr. '10, professor of Law, and Austin Wakeman Scott, Story Professor of Law.

Their titles are respectively "The Common Law in the United States," "Statutory Developments in Business Corporation Law," and "Fifty Years of Trusts." In each the writer carries out Mr. Hand's initial contention that "The legal relations between the individual and the community which arise out of the production and distribution of property, comprise by far the greater, and more important, part of the law."

The 1937 Review carries an editorial board of 38 Law students. President is John T. Sapienza 3L.