HARRIERS LOSE TO YALE, BUT GET WIN OVER PRINCETON

Hayden Channing Finishes Third in One of His Best Races This Year, Followed by Marcy

New Haven, Conn. Captain Wilbur Woodland of Yale won the Harvard-Yale-Princeton cross country meet at New Haven as expected, while his team was nosing out the Crimson by a one point margin for a 27-28 score. At the same time Yale beat Princeton 18 to 37 and Harvard beat Princeton 18 to 39. The race was run on the basis of three dual meets.

Running his last big three cross country race, Woodland failed to break the five-mile course record by one second as his time was announced as 26 minutes, 59 seconds.

Joe Fox, another Blue runner trailed him to the tape, while Hayden Channing and Henry March followed him in close order. Their times were respectively 27:16, 27:20, and 27:22. Fritz Rosengarten, the Princeton captain, succeeded in getting only the twelfth spot over the wet course.

At the same time the Harvard Freshmen were winning both their races by comfortable margins. The Yardling scores were Harvard 21; Yale 49; Harvard 19, Princeton 37; and Princeton 24, Yale 34. The captain of the Yale youngsters took first place, but he was trailed by three Harvard men, A. J. Horne, W. P. Tutle, and J. D. Lightbody.

Wilbur Woodland could have broken the course record if he had not lagged behind to hold his team in a cohesive group, urging them on.

This race marks the best running of Hayden Channing all year. Starting off slowly because of sickness, he has steadily improved to the point where he bids fair to be a substantial threat in the coming I.C. 4 A meet.