Harvard Film Society Will Present Program Showing History of Cinema

Undergraduates Organize Group To Bring Memorable Films To University

Organized by a group of undergraduates within the University, the Harvard Film Society was successfully launched last week. The new society was formed to bring to Harvard certain memorable films released by the Museum of Modern Art.

The first offering of the Film Society will be a series of programs entitled "A Survey of the Film in America 1895-1932." This particular series deals with the rise of American film from its crude beginning through the early Pickford era and the famous classics of Griffith down to the first Walf Disney and the coming of sound. The first part of the program will be given on Thursday, January 28, to be followed by showings of the rest of the series on February 9 and 25, and March 9 and 25. The films will be presented at the Institute of Geographical Exploration at 4 and 8 o'clock.

The Society was formed because of the copyright arrangement of the Museum with the producers and University regulations which forbid the taking of admission at the door. Membership in the Film Society costs $1.00 for students in Harvard and Radcliffe, $2.00 for members of the Faculty and their families, and $3.00 for those not connected with the University. These fees will meet the expenses of procuring the pictures and will entitle each member to a ticket for the five programs and to special privileges in connection with future showings.

The committee of the Society is headed by Chairman T. Edward Ross, 2nd '38 and is made up of the following undergraduates: William B. Bersseubrugge '37, Hume Dow, Joseph B. Coolidge, Jr. '38, H. Shippen Geodhue '38. Stephen Goodyear '38, Henry Uncowe '38, Robert E. Weruick '38, John D. Gordon '30, and Dr. Alan M. G. Little.