PARKER ELECTED HEAD OF PEACE COMMITTEE

LINEBARGER ANALYZES PRESENT SITUATION IN CHINA

William N. Parker '39 was elected chairman of the Peace Committee of the student Union at a meeting held in Adams House senior Common room Wednesday evening at 7:30 o'clock.

Roger F. Duncan '38 was elected vice-chairman of the committee, William B. Mitchell '40, secretary, and Edwin A. Blackwell '40, chairman in charge of the Study Group.

Following this, Paul M. Linebarger, instructor in government, spoke briefly on the history of China since 1912 with relation to the present crisis.

Linbarger, author of a book which will appear in three weeks on the life of "Dr. Sun-Yat-Son," stated that "You cannot analyze a movement in China on an ecconomic basis, for too much of the power there is dependent on military considerations.

He went on to describe how the kidnapped Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek had been attempting to divide the armies an lessen the power of Marshal Chang Hseu-liang, former Manchurian warlord, and stated that if harm befell Chiang Kai-shek, a state of anarchy would ensue that might retard for 25 years the development of China.