TOWARDS A BROADER CONFERENCE

Believing that the success of the Harvard-Yale-Princeton Conference increases in proportion to undergraduate interest in the affair, the CRIMSON, in planning this year's session, hoped to make as much provision as possible for participation on the part of the student body. The current opening of the presidencies of three round tables to members of the university not necessarily connected with the newspaper is the initial step in carrying out this policy.

The opportunity for fruitful discussion can be seen from the subject-heads of these tables; government revenue and expenditure, maintenance of employment, and competitive enterprise. Problems of this sort have been occupying an ever wider place in the normal discussions of students during recent years, and observers of the changing collegiate attitude have pointed optimistically to the increased interest in such serious topics.

When comparisons are made between active participation by experts and students in gatherings like this, and a mere attendance in the galleries during a lecture on the same subject, the balance is far in favor of the Conference plan. No qualms should be felt about playing give-and-take with men who may be members of the Cabinet, university professors, or financiers fresh from the mines of Wall Street. They are by no means as unapproachable as they sound, and by accepting the invitation to the Conference show their willingness to confer with their younger and less experienced colleagues.

As further plans for the Conference are worked out undergraduates will be invited to take other places at the various discussion tables. Last year's session at Princeton proved the event to be too beneficial to be restricted to the newspapers alone, and it is hoped that the students will make the Conference as important to themselves as it is to the sponsors.