HANFSTAENGL NOTE TO CONANT ARRIVES TODAY

Hitler Aide, Whose Gift Was Refused, Sends Answer to Supposed Plea for Scholarship Funds

Contrary to reports published Saturday morning in local papers, President Conant has not asked Ernst F. S. Hanfstaengl '09 to contribute to the 300th Anniversary Fund, thus re-opening the controversy over the Corporation's refusal of a $1000 travelling fellowship made by Hitler's aide in October 1934. Hanfstaengl allowed the news to leak out Friday night that he was written a letter to President Conant, and although University Hall denied all knowledge of the matter, it was thought that the letter would be laid on the President's desk today.

It is understood that Hanfstaengl's letter is in reply to the form letter sent to all of the 67,000 Harvard alumni by President Conant. The later explained President Conant's proposed national scholarships and roving professorships and was erroneously assumed to contain a plea for money as well as for the general sympathy of the graduates toward the new proposals.

While the opportunity to refuse a specific request for financial support has been denied Hanfstaengl, the form letter has given him an opportunity to president for the bitter letter which President Conant gave to the press two years ago.