ANGELL DEFIES THE DEMAGOGUES

In the course of his remarks to an Alumni Day gathering on Saturday, President Angell of Yale struck out decisively against compulsory teachers' oath bills. "Consider," he said, "the utterly ridiculous condition which compels President Conant to take such an oath, while it allows a recently naturalized foreign priest to pour out over the radio the most poisonous and inflammatory economic and social nonsense." And quite aside from the fear that a strong oath bill may stifle intellectual freedom, Dr. Angell is rightly offended by the "outrageous implication" that teachers are less loyal than other groups in the community.

Intelligent spectators have long stigmatized the benevolent protection of the red-white-and-blue-bunting patriots for what it is: an attempt on the part of carefree demagogues to champion the people against imaginary dangers, merely because they want to be champions. The product of this pernicious alignment is an unnatural and unhealthy resentment among the masses against the intellectuals, who are supposed to be dabbling with explosive ideas. It is just such a situation that in ancient times gave the hemlock juice to Socrates, and, in our own day and state, blasted the senatorial hopes of Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr.

Thus there is nothing acute in President Angell's analysis, and nothing original in his stand. It is definitely heartening, however, to see that Yale discerns and sympathizes with the humiliation of Harvard. Furthermore, the tone of the language of Yale's head promises stiff, virile opposition to the possible imposition of any sacramental fetishes on Connecticut.