WHITESIDE WILL PLACE VARSITY IN LEVIATHAN

No Positions in First Boat Until Men Have Demonstrated Their Ability in Scow

With the 20 inches of ice on the river giving at least two more weeks of indoor work, Coach Charlie Whiteside is taking his time about choosing his first eights.

He announced yesterday that even when the water did open up, no Varsity boat would be launched until he bad seen all the more promising oarsmen show their stuff in the Leviathan-Even letter men will be forced to submit to the revealing test of the scow usually used to train inexperienced Freshman.

Whiteside also said that his newly inaugurated plan of sending Varsity candidates on Thursdays and Thursdays to the Athletic Building for special exercises in limbering up the shoulders, hips, and ankles was already beginning to yield results in terms of greater smoothness among the heavy blademen.

Charlie has two good men for every position in the first boat, but expects to son a sharp competition for the number seven, oar, the weakest link at present. Phil Bray's graduation and Twining's failure to return from the Freshman boat leave it weak. At present Len Eliel and Boene Watson are the most eligible contestants.