FOLLOW THE LEADER

Now that we are in the midst of Freshman and Senior elections, the urgency for definite rules governing their conduct becomes once more apparent. Every year those in charge spend unnecessary time and effort in evolving new regulations, whereas permanent rules drawn up by the Student Council would put a stop to the annual bickering and indecision. These are the questions which must be answered and answered in the near future: Who shall be eligible to vote? How shall a ballot be counted that is marked with but one or two preference instead of the required three? What are to be the qualifications for candidacy?

This year the Council might do well to take a leaf from the book of the Committee on Freshman Elections. The rules for these elections have been carefully and thoughtfully worked out in advance, and their improvements should be taken as bases for future innovations by members of the Student Council. New methods have been evolved for the nomination of candidates and a pernicious evil, the duplication of votes has been fore-stalled by the simple remedy of checking off each voter at the polls. Such clarification of an important function of the two classes deserves high praise. Better still it deserves the flattery of imitation.

The question of Senior class elections must be faced in the very near future, and whatever is effected should be made a permanent feature. No longer should the wrangling and unpleasant mistakes of past years be allowed to continue. The time has come to follow the leader, and the ideal leader in this instance is the afore-mentioned Committee of Freshman Elections.