EMBRYO TYCOONS GET CHANCE TO SEE BUSINESS SPHERE

Candidates Will Make Contacts in Cambridge and Other Cities Which Later May Be Useful

The competition for the Business Board of the CRIMSON offers the most practical experience available in college to those expecting to enter the business world. It is something quite apart from "book knowledge"--and equally valuable.

The CRIMSON like any newspaper, derives its income from two sources, subscriptions and advertising. The latter is the more important. It is in the solicitation of this kind of business that the candidate will encounter experiences which educate him in the practices of the business world surely and rapidly. The market for CRIMSON advertising, while largely concerned with Harvard Square, is in fact practically unlimited. There are great numbers of business and professional people to whom the CRIMSON can be of help in reaching the profitable Harvard market, and it is up to the Business Board to demonstrate this fact to them.

No Experience Required

The job requires no superhuman gifts or previous experience, but rather demands good intelligence and the ability to learn under sympathetic direction. Aspirants for the Business Board are kept under the constant guidance of the experienced members of the Board. If under this tutelage they develop skill and ability, they are given wider discretion in seeking accounts, and not infrequently business candidates have been successful in developing new lines of business for the CRIMSON.

The selling of advertising is far from the only activity of the Business Board. The CRIMSON is a complete business, with an annual turnover of many thousands of dollars. The entire commercial management of the paper is in the hands of the Business Manager and his staff, and their jobs embrace the important work of purchasing, including the negotiation of paper and printing contracts, the collection of bills, the efficient management of the building and its equipment, the control of the circulation, which involves the direction of a staff of employees, and the many other duties which are connected with a business enterprise. The candidate is given the opportunity of becoming familiar with all these.

Initiated Into Business

During the eight week competition the business candidate gets a taste of the practices of the outer world where men are definitely working for their bread and butter. And the candidate is treated as one of them. The candidate's sales talk, or the letters to National advertisers which he dictates, are considered seriously, and the fact that he is still in college bears no detrimental influence.

Excellent Training

The duties of the candidate, and the members of the Board, are so interesting that the idea of "work" seemingly disappears. A process of absorption sets in. One learns without being aware of it. And often in the end one finds himself the possessor of executive ability, or the like, which proves to be an invaluable asset in future life.

No Night Work

The Business Board competition requires no night work. The candidates' duties are performed chiefly in the afternoon, and arrangements are made so that studies are not seriously interfered with. All those who aspire to membership on the Business Board should report on Wednesday evening at the CRIMSON Building at 14 Plympton Street at 7:30 o'clock. The competition is open to Freshmen and Sophomores