The Moviegoer

"The Ghost Goes West" Is Another Triumph For Donat The Suave; Jean Parker Sweet

By E. C. B.

"Algiers" now showing at the University Theatre, is an emotional experience. Director John Cromwell has succeeded in maintaining throughout a high level of tension which occasionally breaks out in explosive dramatic shocks. The mood, even in its happy moments one of ominous fatalism, is set by Charles Boyer with his gloomy portrayal of Pepe le Moko, the underworld ruler. Hedy Lamarr, whose haunting mystery is the answer to an unexpressed desire in every man's subconscious, also stands with Mr. Boyer the test of the long, electric close-ups. The picture is notable for its attention to those details which aid in heightening the effect:--the irony of the blaring player-piano as the informer is murdered, the omnipresence of the boy-killer with the idiotic smile, various other tricks in lights and settings.

Lusty is the word for "We're Going to Be Rich", which is saved from mediocrity by the all-Albion sweetheart, Gracie Fields, whose entertaining is a relic from another day of noisy music halls and bar-room brawls.

Of particular interest is the "University Newsreel" which has been compiled from three leading services and gives a graphic picture of Mr. Hitler's ten parties and their momentous outcome.