BERT HAINES MEETS 60 1939 CREW CANDIDATES

SIX VARSITY, FIVE JAYVEE MEN RETURN THIS YEAR

Following up the opening of the Varsity rowing season, Bert Haines met sixty would-be oarsmen from the class of '39 in the Upper Common Room of the Union at 7 o'clock last night.

Varsity Captain Ray Clark welcomed the candidates in a short address, and was followed by Bert Haines who has stood in loco parentis to many generations of Freshman hopefuls, and by Head Coach Charlie Whiteside.

In the Varsity sphere Whiteside has six major-H men and five Jayvee numeral winners as a nucleus upon which to build up his first two boats. The whole of the combination crew remains to fill in the gaps.

Six Varsity Men

Ed Simmons, Bob Watson, Leonard Eliel, Jim Gardner, and Captain Ray Clark of last year's Varsity are supported by Henry Atherton, also a major-H winner, and Austin, Culter, Haskins, Lloyd, and Roosevelt, of the Jayvees. Besides these lettermen there is the Combination Crew of Choate, F. D. Gardner, Prout, Rantoul, O. K. Scott, P. L. Scott, Senior, and Francis.

From last year's Freshmen crew Brooks, Chace, Clark, Erickson, Gardiner, Radway, Twining, and Van Winkle are available. Charlie Whiteside is also ready to welcome back to the Newell Art Bean, Bill Locke, Bob Wolcott, and Reggie Kernan, none of whom rowed last year.