Norse Champion

TO the Wisconsin student who walks up a certain street in Madison in summer and early fall, the figure of Dr. Rasmus B. Arderson, age 90, is a family one. He sits in placid silence on the porch of his home and watches with keen eyes the passing parade. There are many who would like to know his thoughts as the daily setting sun throws his rocking chair into shadows. When the Civil War came to an end, he was taking a degree at Luther College in Iowa. In 1866 he embarked on a teaching career as professor of Greek and modern languages at Albion Academy, his prep school in Wisconsin.

Nine years later he started his rich career in Norse scholarship at the University of Wisconsin. His first book, published in 1874, had as its thesis argument that America was not discovered Columbus. Since then he has staunchly added to claim of discovery by the Norsemen. For four years he was minister to Denmark.

Today he is counted one of Wisconsin's patriads honored as a scholar by several continents, know by name by many Norwegians who have no knowledge of the academic life.