MERMEN TACKLING KIPHUTH MACHINE AT YALE TONIGHT

May Help Topple Elis From Neptune's Lap--Freshmen Are Also Confronted With Man-Sized Job

Facing an immensely powerful Yale aggregation which has stretched the Eli winning streak this year to 150 consecutive victories, a fighting Crimson swimming team will invade New Haven today determined to make a desperate try to keep unsmirched its brilliant 1936 record.

"I'm always optimistic, and we may come through if we get some of the breaks," forecasted Coach Harold Ulen, discussing the team's chances in the big meet of the year as final preparations were made yesterday afternoon. "Unless something unexpected happens, however, it looks like Yale's meet by about five or six points," admitted Harvard's aquatic mentor.

Yale Favored

Most advance reports were inclined to agree with Coach Ulen's prediction, although a very close contest with Bob Kiphuth's mermen in the Payne Whitney Pool tonight is universally expected.

Harvard is generally conceded first places in the 50 and 100-yard sprints, the dive, and the backstroke; the Elis, however, will probably pick up some points for second and third places in these events. Yale's chances for first places in the 220 and 440-yard races and the breast stroke are considered to be excellent.

Probably Harvard's two most certain first places will be in the 50 and the 100, where Charley Hutter is undoubtedly the class of the field.

Eli's Stars

The outstanding Eli performers are Captain Norris Hoyt in the 440 and the backstroke and Johnny Macionis, Sophomore star, who is ISA champion in the 220-yard race and is also a consistently good performer in the breaststroke.

Jimmy Coldwell of the Freshman mermen and Noonan of Yale will probably have a close sprint battle in the 1936 meet, which is also held at Yale tonight. Barring an upset, however, the Yardling swimmers are due to lose to a Blue team which has made an excellent record in competition this season.