$50 Given for Flood Relief --- Radio Club Sends Transmitter to Haverhill

Crimson Operators Send Disputed Message Ordering Producers to Destroy Perishable Food

Over $50 in cash was collected at Phillips Brooks House for Red Cross flood relief over the weekend by the Committee headed by David Rockefeller '36 and Robert W. Edwards '38, Collections will continue today.

The Clothing Drive begun at the end of last week will be completed on Tuesday, after representatives have called at every room in the college. Meanwhile the radio club has been extending direct aid to flood victims.

Radio Work

Requested by flood relief officials to aid in extending communications in isolated Haverhill, the Club sent E. MacDonald Nyhen '37 and Frank G. Morris, Jr. '38 to the stricken area on Saturday with a portable five meter transmitter.

Although most of their work consisted of relaying river heights and similar messages, the Crimson radio men also sent out the much disputed order to grocers telling them to destroy all perishable stock which might possibly spread the dread typhus germ.

Power Off

As all power was cut off in the city, police had to depend on three portable sets operated by amateurs for spreading the directions which joined parties working in different parts of the area, and the Harvard unit was the vital link in the chain.

Assigned a position in a police car on top of a neighboring hill, Nyhen and Morris served as the connecting station between City Hall, where relief direction centered, and the other operators working in the flooded district. They also relayed messages to outside stations giving the latest news from Haverhill.