Dwight Morrow Vanishes into Country to Flee From Persistent Newspapermen

Three New York Reporters Foiled As Victim of Lindbergh Letter Theft Escapes

Fleeing from a host of reporters, Dwight W. Morrow Jr., a second year graduate student, drove away to seek the seclusion of the country yesterday afternoon. State police are still awaiting word from Morrow before taking definite action on the that of family correspondence containing information about the Lindberg case.

In the escape of Morrow, "The New York Daily News" fared the worst of all the papers represented. No less than three staff members of this paper fiew from New York in a plane piloted by an ace photographer. The latter is easily identified by his officer's cap with a built-in camera. An aggressive woman feature writer and an ordinary news man made up the rest of the party.

A possible Hoax

Other reporters were equally thwarted in an attempt to get new light on the break, which is now believed to have taken place six weeks ago instead of two as announced. Further, a large proportion of the press look upon the whole thing as a hoax, one rumor being spread that a New York reporter had bribed a student to commit the crime for the sake of publicity.

Captain John F. Stokes, head of the State detective bureau, was assigned to the case, due to a communication from Colonel Schwarzkopf of the New Jersey police to Colonel Kirk of Massachusetts. Stokes withheld what little information he was believed to possess.

Missing Articles Described

In his report to Schwarzkopf, shortly after the theft, Morrow described the missing articles as a letter from his mother describing the itinerary of the Lindbergh trip to England, a picture of the Lindbergh family, and several personal letters including one from an attorney regarding his income tax.

Morrow also disclosed in the report that it was by no means the first time his room had been ransacked and various personal belongings pillaged.