EXETER DEBATERS WIN FROM FRESHMAN SQUAD

Witkin, Bean, and Foote Lose Decision on Negative Side of Supreme Court Question

Winning a closely contested match by a 2-1 vote, the Exeter debating team defeated the Freshman team at the Union last night.

The winners supported the negative of the subject: Resolved, That the Supreme Court should be divested of its power to declare acts of Congress void. The judges were Dean Leighton '19, Oscar Sutermeister '32, and Douglas P. Adams '30.

The affirmative team of Richard Witkin, Robert Bean, and Caleb Foote argued that the power of Judicial Review over Congressional legislation was not granted by the Constitution to the Court.

They also declared that the decisions of the Court were political rather than legal in nature, and that the Supreme Court represented an unjustified, undemocratic institution.

Answering these arguments, the winning Exeter team of Paul W. Charington, Murray M. Day, and Nelson R. Gidding proposed the status quo. Taking as examples decisions made recently by the Court, the schoolboys said that the members of the Court were unimpeachably honest men, and that they were a non-partisan group.