Petition Asks Student Council to Support Conant Oath Bill Stand

Action on Behalf of College Is Likely if Large Number of Names Is Collected

That the Student Council would take action to support President Conant in his opposition to the Teachers Oath Bill seemed imminent last night as a result of a petition started by several prominent Seniors. With over 300 names already registered, it was announced that a special meeting of the Council would be called for this evening to consider the matter.

The petition reads as follows: "We the undersigned respectfully request the Harvard Student Council in behalf of the undergraduate body to take active measures to support the courageous stand taken by President Conant favoring the repeal of the Teachers Oath Bill."

Among those who were active in undertaking the petition were Raymond S. Clark '36, Winthrop H. Lee '36, Rodman W. Paul '36, Henry V. Poor '36, and John W. Perry '36.

At present the only undergraduate action to back up President Conant is that planned by the Harvard Student Union. But according to two members who were reached last night, it seemed possible that that organization would be willing to withdraw its representative, Robert S. Brainer '38, who was scheduled to speak at the hearing tomorrow morning.

It was carefully explained that such action on the part of the Union was by no means certain as a meeting of the Executive Committee would be necessary to withdraw Brainerd. It was felt, however, that any action taken by the Student Council, endorsed by a large majority of the undergraduate body, would be more effective than any measures taken by the Student Union. Various members of the Union have agreed to assist in getting names on the petition today which will be circulated in the Houses during lunch and dinner.