SERVICES WILL BE OBSERVED BY JEWS AT TERCENTENARY

Prominent Jews Throughout Country Consulted Over a Year Ago About Date Change

Arrangements have already been made to provide for the orthodox Jewish alumni desiring to attend the Tercentenary Celebration on September 17 and 18 according to Harry A. Wolfson, Nathan Littauer Professor of Jewish Literature and Philosophy. Professor Wolfson has arranged to have early services which will be over by 9 o'clock held in the Semitic Museum's large lecture hall or else in the Chapel of the Divinity School.

These services will be over by 9 o'clock in order that almuni can get to the award of degrees Friday morning. Those wishing to attend services will be able to do so.

Jewish Alumni Consulted

It is understood that these services have no connection with the Tercentenary and were arranged entirely separately. Jerome D. Greene '96, director of the Tercentenary, could not be reached last night for confirmation of the official relationship between the University's Tercentenary program and any such services but issued a statement Saturday revealing that an effort had been made over a year ago to find out whethers it would be advisable to shift the dates in view of their conflict with Rosh Hashonah. Jewish alumni throughout the country were consulted personally and by letter and upon their advice it was decided not to change the dates of the Tercentenary Days.

Greene's Statement

Mr. Greene's statement reads in part: "When September 16, 17, and 18, 1936, were officially adopted, .... their conflict with the Jewish New Year was not realized....and it was not brought to my attention until late in December of that year. The University greatly regretted the conflict, and careful consideration was given to the possibility of changing the date; but it was decided that having regard to the greatest number concerned, which would be seriously affected by the change, September 16, 17, and 18 would have to be adhered to."