The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

THE MAIL

To the Editor of the Crimson:.

In response to an inquiry at the Library of the Department of Sociology after the recent book by Sidney and Beatrice Webb, "Soviet Communism: a New Civilization?", the writer was informed that the work had not been ordered and was definitely not going to be acquired by that Library. The reason given was that this work was not sociology. It is hard to agree with this view of a book which was characterized in the "Saturday Review of Literature" by Harold Laski as follows: "No one is entitled to speak of Russia who has not read this book. It marks a definite epoch in the understanding of the greatest historical event since the French Revolution." Laski affirms this in spite of his severe criticism of the Webb' treatment of individual freedom in the Soviet Union.

One is driven to the conclusion that a censorship has been imposed in this Library to which Harvard has not hitherto been accustomed. Can it be that there is discord on the question of freedom of inquiry between University Hall and a certain section of Emerson Hall? Louis Harap, '28