Freshman Waiters Will Exercise But Yardlings Free for Exams

Figures Show Their Grades Are Above Average With Many on Dean's List

Upshot of the controversy over the question of whether student waiters should be required to take compulsory athletics during their Freshman year, Arlie V. Bock, Henry K. Oliver Professor of Hygiene, yesterday announced that those men should be required to exercise, but that he had arranged that all Freshmen be allowed to skip exercise one week before and all during November hours, midyears and finals.

Rank High

Backing up this decision, Dr. Bock cited figures from the Records office showing that the scholastic standing of waiters was above the average; 75% with admission records over 80% were on the Dean's list; only 23% of those entering with an average below 70% had unsatisfactory records.

Faculty men interviewed by Dr. Bock did not consider the men concerned inherently better scholars; rather their work would seem to have stimulated them to greater effort.

Wrong Type of Exercise

Another argument advanced by waiters is that they do sufficient exercise in the process of serving meals; a calculation shows that waiters walk 20 miles and lift 10 foot-tons per week. According to Dr. Bock, however, this is the wrong type of exercise, and does not supply the mental and nervous relaxation which is one of the principal objects of the requirement. Further, the present program offers "expert guidance by coaches in developing bodily skills, opens avenues for wider acquaintances, and fosters the spirit of cooperation."

Five of seven waiters interviewed, advised the continuation of the present system; regular periods of exercise have helped Fresh through periods of readjustment.