ENGLISH

Those in the Field of English commonly complain that the Department is so overcrowded that concentrators cannot get sufficient attention from tutors and heads of courses. As a result of this, men have found it difficult to obtain a clear structural idea of the material in the field without taking nine or more courses, an outrageous number.

Many have drifted into the Department as a line of least resistance, having no particular bent in other directions. This is perfectly natural, as they have spoken and written English all their lives and certainly their native tongue should be learned well. Furthermore it appears to be a good Field from the point of view of correlating other material, since almost any course is possible except a science.

In future the wise play would be to dissuade men from entering the Field unless they have a genuine interest in literature or a desire to write. Others would do better to pick a different and smaller department in the humanities, in which they can tie in the many and diverse topics that interest them and at the same time feel more sure of comprehending the subject matter of the department itself.

If this is done, the present English Department will not be over-enrolled and the staff will be able to give the stimulating personal attention which is so necessary for the students' enjoyment. Certainly the staff has sufficient talent, with the men now on its list and the two additions scheduled for the fall.