PAYMENT DEFERRED

Like a country defaulting on its war debts, the faction of commuters now howling about their Dudley Hall dues has masked its cries in a cloud of pious self-righteousness, while imputing to Peregrine White designs of a sinister and distinctly un-American character. If the bill under complaint were in any way unfair, a voice of objection should certainly be raised. But since payment of the five dollar charge for the second semester was clearly pledged by the would-be defaulters, the imputation of skullduggery on the part of the Dudley committee is as absurd as it is false. And unlike a creditor nation, the University is in a position to collect.

As announced in the fall, the terms of membership in the Commuters Center are ten dollars annually, payable in two installments. Those who joined in October are obligated to pay the April installment just as much as college residents, who pay their yearly room rent half in November, half in the Spring. The admission of members for the second term at half the full rate in no way affects the original situation; it simply extends the use of the Center's facilities to those who did not join during the fall.

The suspicion that the management has been hitting below the belt in getting its charges included on the term bill shows a lamentable lack of understanding on the part of these "conscientious" objectors. The term bill is the natural place for all such college charges, from room rent to beer at the Eliot House grill. It is easier for students as well as Lehman Hall to group all expenses in a single reckoning. But aside from the obvious of foul play uncovers a lack of graciousness and sportsmanship unlooked for in even the most crabbed faction of Dudley members. Since its inception the had has provided a gracious and much-needed social center, and under Mr. White's leadership the estate of commuters at Harvard has gained tremendously. The outburst of a discontented minority points strongly to shyster tactics, and it is to be hoped that such an occurrence at the Commuters Center does not come up again.