'39 SPEAKER IN 300TH WILL BE PICKED TODAY

HICKEY, GORE LINED UP AS JUDGES FOR EVENT

Trials for the selection of a Freshman who will speak in the meeting of the Associated Harvard Clubs next fall will be held this evening in the Upper Common Room of the Union at 7 o'clock.

In these trials each candidate will be expected to speak for five minutes on the general subject of Freshman life in the Yard today. The judging will take into account both the speaking ability and the subject matter.

Judges

In charge of the trials and the eventual selection of the speak are Edward H. Hickey '33 and George Gore '34, who have been in charge of Freshman debating.

The winner will be one of three undergraduates who will speak before the 10,000 odd alumni on September 17 in the mammoth new Tercentenary theatre. The proceedings will also be broadcast over a round-the-world radio network, with Harvard Clubs from London to Singapore tuning in.

Triangular Debate

Meanwhile, as this competition is being held, Hickey and Gore will be whipping the Freshman debating team into speaking trim for the Triangular matches with Yale and Princeton Saturday evening. The Yale debate will be here at the Union, while the contest with Princeton is scheduled for that town.

So far this season, the Yardling orators have opposed Boston Latin, Andover, Boston College Freshman, and Exeter twice.