MUSIC MEN UTTER CRY AGAINST ENSLAVEMENT

Students' Petition Asks College for Transfer of Library From Widener to Freer Quarters

Longtime complaint against the inadequate services of Harvard's music library is reaching effervescence this week as students in music circulate among all their fellow members in the Department a petition urging the University to take the situation once and for all in hand.

The student case is summed up in their petition which runs as follows:

"We, the undersigned, students in music, petition the University to remedy the intolerable inadequacy of the present library facilities for the Department. We understand that there is a room in Paine Hall entirely adequate to house the whole music collection at present so divided between Widener Library and the Music Building that music cannot be located and if found in Widener cannot be consulted because students are not given free access to the stacks. We therefore respectfully advocate that sufficient funds be allotted the Music Department to remedy this difficult situation by transferal of the entire collection to Paine Hall."

If all concentrators in the field 98, and other students in music about 300, sign the petition, the University will and itself in a position to act favorable or admit that one of the best music libraries in the country is inaccessible for ample study.