HARVARD SQUARE BUSINESSMEN JOIN ANTI-OATH FORCES

Teachers' Union, Society for Freedom of Teaching Sponsor Movement; Brine, Bolter, Keezer Subscribe

Using the practical political method of applying pressure on legislators to obtain their demands, the Teachers' Union and the Society for the Freedom of Teaching have secured the signatures of 40 merchants in the Harvard Square vicinity favoring the repeal of the Oath Law.

H. B. 1006, a bill to repeal the Teachers' oath law, comes before the House of Representatives this afternoon and will doubtless come to a vote then. The Senate Committee has already reported the repealer unfavorably by a vote of 6-5 although four committee members did not vote.

Such prominent business men as Carl Bolter, James F. Brine, George E. Cole, manager of the Cooperative Society, and Max Keezer are included in the list who petitioned the Senators and Representatives from the Cambridge districts to support the oath law repeal bill.

Pontius Moving Spirit

Moving spirit in the circulation of the petition has been Dale Pontius, assistant in Government, who is a member of the Teachers' Union. Copies of the paper will be sent to all seven of the Cambridge Representatives and Senators, in an effort to impress upon them the fact that it will mean loss of important votes if they do not support repeal of the oath.

The petition, after reciting the allegations that schools are being "prevented from achieving their real purpose," goes on to say:

"Because we cherish deeply the free democracy which has been the heritage of this Commonwealth for three hundred years, and

"Because we believe that freedom in teaching, together with freedom of the press, freedom of assembly, and freedom of religion, is the great guarantee of the present security and future growth of our American heritage;

"We, the undersigned, voters in this district, respectfully petition you to vote for H. B. 1006 for the repeal of the Teachers' Oath Law."