The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

TEACHING TEACHERS

Teaching teachers adequately is at last receiving needed attention and constructive thought. As a first step, the new degree requiring study of the philosophy of education as well as comprehensive knowledge of a special field is a highly significant one, and gives rise to optimism about this division of the University.

No longer will "qualified" men walk forth with the degree of Master of Education or Master of Arts which mean either that the graduate has theoretical qualifications alone with little knowledge of practical application, or that he has practically no knowledge of the theories of education. The present plan of an exchange between the two Graduate Schools will undoubtedly produce better teachers.

This measure has done much to order the chaotic elements in educational teaching. However, it may legitimately be hoped that this is but the first of a series of measures of improvement. Harvard, as a school for teachers, is outshone by a number of other universities, notably Columbia, particularly in theoretical education, and consistent effort and continual reforms must be applied before the University is truly eminent in the schooling of fully-rounded teachers.